Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday - John F Flock and Amner C. Flock

The post I wrote last week about Matthias Flock's family helped me realize some holes in my research on the family.  I am not sure how but in the early 2000's I found information that John Flock might have lived in Enid, Oklahoma at the end of his life.  My early research was not always done well.  I know now the importance of using citations and research logs!

I did not have death information for John F Flock or his wife, Amner Caroline Flock.  I decided to follow up on the information that I already had about the family and see if I could confirm my earlier research about Enid, Oklahoma.

I started by locating Amner Flock in the 1910 Federal Census.  She is living in Enid, Oklahoma and listed as widowed.  This is a good start, especially since I know that John's brother and mother are both buried in a nearby county.

I then followed up with a search on FindAGrave.com of Enid, Oklahoma.  When I searched for Flock in the Enid Cemetery, I found Lillie Flock Janeway.  The genealogy hairs on the back of my neck stood up because John and Amner had a daughter named Lillie.  The birth date for Lillie on her gravestone matched the information I have found for her.  I was unable to find an entry for John and Amner when using the search term Flock.

Using Lillie's FindAGrave page, I requested assistance to find her parents whom I suspected were nearby.  I received an email the next day from a volunteer in the area named David Schram.  He let me know that there was in fact a memorial page already set up for John and Amner and that he had gone and taken a picture that morning.  He is a genealogy angel!  With the memorial numbers I was given, I was able to find the FindAGrave page for John and Amner.  I am going to follow up with an email to FindAGrave about my search parameters and how they did not work for something that was really there.



Transcription - 

Our Loved Ones

Amner C.
His Wife
Born Nov. 29, 1840
Mar. 4, 1933

John F. Flock
Died Amy 30, 1909
Aged 68 Yrs, 4 Ms & 10 Ds

Flock

A few holes in my research have been filled this week.  I also did an updated search at Ancestry.com to see if there was any new information available.  There is a picture of John and Amner Flock on Ancestry!  I have emailed the person who posted the picture to see if I can use it.  Hopefully, I will have another post to show you who my g-g-g-grandparents are!



No comments:

Post a Comment