Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sorting Saturday - Organziation Update #1

When I started this blog back in April, it quickly became apparent that I needed to do some organizing of the research I have completed.  My old filing system was okay but it sometimes took a while to find what I was looking for.  It is just time to have a clean slate!

My plan has several avenues of attack:

  1. Reorganizing my digital files
    1. creating a new library to put all files into so they are no longer separated between documents and photos
    2. having a standard naming convention
    3. adding citations to the comments section of the properties for each file
    4. checking that the digital files are referenced in my genealogy software
  2. Adding information to my genealogy software
    1. taking all of the paperwork that is in a box and adding it with citations
    2. going through my 3 ring binders to find any information that I have missed adding to my software
  3. Scanning
    1. Everything that is added to my genealogy software needs to be scanned and added to my digital genealogy folders (with citations of course)
    2. Again, going through the 3 ring binders to identify any documents that have not been scanned and get it done
I knew that this was going to be a HUGE project.  My original goal was to have this all done by the end of the year.  HaHa!  It has been a very busy summer (a new baby and 5 weddings) so things are not as far along as I would have wanted at this point.  I have moved and added citations to almost all of my census images, most of the transcriptions, and most of the vital records that were already scanned.  This is almost 500 files!  I was even more surprised to find out that I still have just over 1000 files to move to their new homes!!  I was a bit disheartened to see that I had some research in digital files that was never added to ancestors as citations.  Glass half full - I did find them and they are now added to help paint a fuller picture of my ancestors.  I have not started any of the scanning that needs to be done.

I need to start attacking these for 15 minutes a day if it is ever going to get finished.  Not too likely to happen since we have been so busy but it is a good goal to hit at least a couple of days a week.  I am hoping to have a little more time starting in October. 

All in all, a decent start to a HUGE project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment